Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Quarter 2 Portfolio

Portfolio Intro:
a. Something new I learned this quarter was sentence fluency. We went over it in ninth grade vaguely but this quarter we went more in depth. For example we did a sentence fluency impromptu to show our understanding of sentence fluency.
b. A goal I made last quarter, that I have started to work on this quarter is my improvement of vocabulary. I practiced with the Free Rice website and read more books this quarter.

Writing Standards:
Ideas- Ideas are the main explanation and details of your essay that support your topic.

1st Example: College Essay, because I had to think of the main ideas or the most important characteristics of myself that I wanted to show. In the end I think my ideas were very strong and diverse and supported in detail.
College Essay
2nd Example2nd ExampleI got solid ideas then I built off of that. My ideas could have been improved because I focused too much on the con rather than my proposition.
Pro/Con Impromptu


Organization- Organization is the sequence of your ideas and how they help you to understand your essay better.

1st Example: In my Coming of Age essay the sequence was crucial. My essay started with my moms childhood followed by my dads, then how they met and grew up to be who they are now. This helped you understand why certain things happen later on because of the effects in the past.
Coming of Age
2nd Example: College essay was an example of organization because it was in chronological order. I talked about the different activities I got involved in throughout my life until now. Also in the beginning everything was jumbled together so I broke it apart to make it easier to understand.
College Essay


Voice- Voice is your opinion, your understanding of you topic and your perspective or experience with the topic.

1st Example: Obama sentence fluency impromptu because when I first, analyzed the speeches I showed I could recognize and understand what sentence fluency is. In my own attempt of sentence fluency and parallel structure I explained in detail the atmosphere and perspective from a teenager.
Obama Sentence Fluency Impromptu
2nd Example: College essay because it shows a specific first experience I had with each activity I tried. I tried my best to show and not tell and give a visual from my perspective.
College Essay


Word Choice- Word choice is your selection of words for the best understanding of your idea.

1st Example: Angry Letter is an example of word choice because when you give some one a visual of your concern they might feel more empathetic about your topic. One word can show a much more vibrant picture then the next word.
Angry Letter
2nd Example: Pro/Con impromptu because I had choose the right words to make my paper argumentative and almost persuasive. I think I could have done a better job of my word choice to make my ideas clearer.
Pro/Con Impromptu


Sentence Fluency- Sentence fluency is how your sentences flow and how they show repetition and pattern.

1st Example: Obama sentence fluency impromptu because that was our chance to show our understanding of sentence fluency and apply it to our writing. I was able to recognize it in someones writing and add it to my writing.
Obama Sentence Fluency Impromptu
2nd Example: Angry letter because the more it flows the more someone will want to read you letter and feel concerned about it. A paper is always more intriguing when it sounds more professional and well written with correct use of sentence fluency.
Angry Letter


Conclusion:
Accomplishments:
Somethings I achieved this quarter are increasing my vocabulary. By going on free rice I learned new words and by reading I learned new words by using context clues. I also got a better understanding of sentence fluency. In the impromptu I did good at applying the sentence fluency to my own work.

Challenges:
Risky Business was a challenge to find a topic and making a proposition. It was also hard finding solutions for depression that could both be positive. Then finding an interview subject that was willing to talk was challenging. Something else that was a challenge was the college essay because it was such a broad topic and I didn't know what to write about.

Goals:
A goal for next quarter is to apply sentence fluency to my own work. Although I can show it in exams i have a hard time using it in my essays.

No comments:

Post a Comment