Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Angry Letter Draft

2131 Awikiwiki Street
Pearl City, HI. 96782
December 13, 2010

Pali Momi Medical Center
98-1079 Moanalua Road
Aiea, Hawaii 96701

Dear diagnostic imaging,

I’ve come to your facilities on multiple occasions to receive x-ray. Although it is a nice facility my first experience with an MRI was not the most pleasant.

After an ongoing dizziness problem, prolonged for over three months a neurologists suggested an MRI scan. Of course I’ve heard stories of panic attacks during the scan and bad experiences but this was a first. After I got there I was starting to fill out a form and I was told that I would be given an injection, which I had no knowledge about. Obviously this made me a little nervous but I convinced myself to calm down while I waited to get called.

I was very pleased with the assistant that helped me prepare for the scan and the doctor. They were very welcoming and made me feel at ease through the first part of the scan. However half way through the procedure, when I got injected with a contrast agent dye, was when everything went wrong. It was bad enough that I had no control over my arm and barely any knowledge about what was happening but when I innocently asked questions about it the doctor and assistant were very vague. As he looked for my vein on my right arm and started poking it I felt nervous but when he started whispering to the assistant, my nerves increased. Even through I couldn’t see anything I could feel them playing with the needle, trying to take it out which was uncomfortable but I stayed calmed and decides to ask them if everything was okay. My question was followed by another vague answer that didn’t help. Then I felt a lot of pressure where they poked me, I’m guessing was his hand pushing against m arm, but no real explanation.

Following the unexplained pressure was an outburst of pain. The doctor yelled at the assistant to get a hot compress. He told her to put a towel in the microwave, which sounded a little unprofessional. In the mean time I was grunting in pain and trying to ask what was going on so his answer was along the lines of, something leaked so we’re getting you a hot compress to diminish the pain. After what felt like hours a warm cloth was placed on my arm but by then tears had dried up on my face and I really wanted to know what was going on. Then the assistant grabbed my left arm and started looking for my vein. The second injection wasn’t that bad except for the anxiety that the first one had left. Right before I was put back in the scanner someone finally decided to explain a little more about what was going on and I learned that the contrast agent dye had leaked out of my vein and into the tissue in my arm and that’s why it was agonizing. Finally the scan was over and as I was leaving I got a few apologies but no one bothered to check on me after. Immediately after the scan was done I was sent out and someone else was walking in. I felt very rushed and insignificant. No one bothered to tell my mom about the experience and reassure us that everything was okay.

All in all, I was disappointed with the service from the MRI department. Picture a 15 year old girl, getting an MRI for the first time, just realizing she’s going to get injected, and when it comes time, the needle malfunctions and leaks into my arm, not knowing anything but feeling immense pain and soon after gets injected in the opposite arm, then sent back on the scanner and finally rushed out of the room so they can tend to the next patient. A traumatizing, unpleasant first experience I wouldn’t wish on anyone. I understand that people make mistakes but I think the scanning department should better prepare for mishaps.

Sincerely,

Kiyo Keanini

No comments:

Post a Comment